Get Your Glow On: How to Treat and Prevent Dull Skin
We all have those mornings when we look in the mirror and instinctively know something is not quite right with our skin. For most of us, these moments are probably the result of dull skin. A dull or lackluster complexion is usually a result of the build-up of dead skin cells. This build-up causes skin to scatter light instead of evenly reflecting it, resulting in a loss of radiance. Here are a few ways to get your skin back to a glowing and radiant state:
Cleanse and Exfoliate
- ● Use a skin-cleansing brush to slough away dead skin cells. Pair the brush with an exfoliating cleanser to enhance the brightening results.
- ● Try an at-home microdermabrasion kit once or twice a week (on non-consecutive days). Microdermabrasion removes layers of dead skin to minimize the appearance of dull patches, discoloration and imperfections.
- ● Moisturize twice a day, morning and evening, to keep skin well hydrated. Choose a moisturizer that contains alpha hydroxy acid (glycolic acid), which increases surface skin cell renewal rate. Both result in brighter skin. You could even try incorporating a serum before applying moisturizer that will help in skin brightening
- ● Use a moisturizer with an SPF of at least 15 in the morning. Remember that sun damage is cumulative, resulting in dull-looking skin over time.
- ● Try a CC cream, which is like a one-stop shop for more radiant skin. It immediately brightens with a sheer tint of color and contains skin-beautifying ingredients such as Niacinimide and vitamin E.
- ● Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated from the inside out.
- ● Exercise regularly. Whenever you get your heart rate pumping, your skin reaps the benefits. Walking, jogging, cycling and yoga all improve circulation and give you that lit-from-within glow.
- ● Get your beauty sleep. Eight hours of sleep a night gives skin time to repair itself. You will wake up with a brighter, healthier looking complexion.